I will be a guest on Lessons in Joyful Living this afternoon.
Tune in to this interview today 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific.
You can log into Live Chat — http://lijlnetwork.com/chat or call in — 866-404-6519 to ask questions.
I will be a guest on Lessons in Joyful Living this afternoon.
Tune in to this interview today 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific.
You can log into Live Chat — http://lijlnetwork.com/chat or call in — 866-404-6519 to ask questions.
I am doing a preliminary outline of a possible workbook of Stoic exercises and meditations. In the course of doing so I was reminded of the Golden Verses of Pythagoras, which some believe influenced Stoicism. Possibly as old as 3BC ,I thought I might share it here. Despite its frequent connection to the Neoplatonists who are getting the shaft lately in magic circles, this makes a good philosophy for Pagan Magicians.
1. First worship the Immortal Gods, as they are established and ordained by the Law.
2. Reverence the Oath, and next the Heroes, full of goodness and light.
3. Honour likewise the Terrestrial Daemons by rendering them the worship lawfully due to them.
4. Honour likewise your parents, and those most nearly related to you.
5. Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue.
6. Always give ear to his mild exhortations, and take example from his virtuous and useful actions.
7. Avoid as much as possible hating your friend for a slight fault.
8. Power is a near neighbor to necessity.
9. Know that all these things are just as what I have told you; and accustom yourself to overcome and vanquish these passions:–
10. First gluttony, sloth, sensuality, and anger.
11. Do nothing evil, neither in the presence of others, nor privately;
12. But above all things respect yourself.
13. In the next place, observe justice in your actions and in your words.
14. And do not accustom yourself to behave yourself in any thing without rule, and without reason.
15. But always make this reflection, that it is ordained by destiny that all men shall die.
16. And that the goods of fortune are uncertain; and that just as they may be acquired, they may likewise be lost.
17. Concerning all the calamities that men suffer by divine fortune,
18. Support your lot with patience, it is what it may be, and never complain at it.
19. But endeavour what you can to remedy it.
20. And consider that fate does not send the greatest portion of these misfortunes to good men.
21. There are many sorts of reasonings among men, good and bad;
22. Do not admire them too easily, nor reject them.
23. But if falsehoods are advanced, hear them with mildness, and arm yourself with patience.
24. Observe well, on every occasion, what I am going to tell you:–
25. Do not let any man either by his words, or by his deeds, ever seduce you.
26. Nor lure you to say or to do what is not profitable for yourself.
27. Consult and deliberate before you act, that you may not commit foolish actions.
28. For it is the part of a miserable man to speak and to act without reflection.
29. But do the thing which will not afflict you afterwards, nor oblige you to repentance.
30. Never do anything which you do not understand.
31. But learn all you ought to know, and by that means you will lead a very pleasant life.
32. in no way neglect the health of your body;
33. But give it drink and meat in due measure, and also the exercise of which it needs.
34. Now by measure I mean what will not discomfort you.
35. Accustom yourself to a way of living that is neat and decent without luxury.
36. Avoid all things that will occasion envy.
37. And do not be prodigal out of season, like someone who does not know what is decent and honourable.
38. Neither be covetous nor stingy; a due measure is excellent in these things.
39. Only do the things that cannot hurt you, and deliberate before you do them.
40. Never allow sleep to close your eyelids, after you went to bed,
41. Until you have examined all your actions of the day by your reason.
42. In what have I done wrong? What have I done? What have I omitted that I ought to have done?
43. If in this examination you find that you have done wrong, reprove yourself severely for it;
44. And if you have done any good, rejoice.
45. Practise thoroughly all these things; meditate on them well; you ought to love them with all your heart.
46. It is those that will put you in the way of divine virtue.
47. I swear it by he who has transmitted into our souls the Sacred Quaternion, the source of nature, whose cause is eternal.
48. But never begin to set your hand to any work, until you have first prayed the gods to accomplish what you are going to begin.
49. When you have made this habit familiar to you,
50. You will know the constitution of the Immortal Gods and of men.
51. Even how far the different beings extend, and what contains and binds them together.
52. You shall likewise know that according to Law, the nature of this universe is in all things alike,
53. So that you shall not hope what you ought not to hope; and nothing in this world shall be hidden from you.
54. You will likewise know, that men draw upon themselves their own misfortunes voluntarily, and of their own free choice.
55. Unhappy they are! They neither see nor understand that their good is near them.
56. Few know how to deliver themselves out of their misfortunes.
57. Such is the fate that blinds humankind, and takes away his senses.
58. Like huge cylinders they roll back and forth, and always oppressed with innumerable ills.
59. For fatal strife, natural, pursues them everywhere, tossing them up and down; nor do they perceive it.
60. Instead of provoking and stirring it up, they ought to avoid it by yielding.
61. Oh! Jupiter, our Father! If you would deliver men from all the evils that oppress them,
62. Show them of what daemon they make use.
63. But take courage; the race of humans is divine.
64. Sacred nature reveals to them the most hidden mysteries.
65. If she impart to you her secrets, you will easily perform all the things which I have ordained thee.
66. And by the healing of your soul, you wilt deliver it from all evils, from all afflictions.
67. But you should abstain from the meats, which we have forbidden in the purifications and in the deliverance of the soul;
68. Make a just distinction of them, and examine all things well.
69. Leave yourself always to be guided and directed by the understanding that comes from above, and that ought to hold the reins.
70. And when, after having deprived yourself of your mortal body, you arrived at the most pure Aither,
71. You shall be a God, immortal, incorruptible, and Death shall have no more dominion over you.*
I have known Vajranatha (John Reynolds) for 23 years and consider him to be my most important teacher both in Tantra and Magic in general. Everything I know about Tibetan Magic and Tantra I learned through him, even stuff I learned from other lamas took on new life when going over the material with his help.
Finding a scholar-lama is rare enough. Finding one that understands magic and likes to explain things in those terms is ULTRA-rare.
Lama Vajranatha (John Myrdhin Reynolds)
December 13-14, 2014
In order to subdue and transform negative energies and especially those that arise directly from the passion of anger, wrathful practice is adopted.
In general, the function of Vajrakilaya practice is to overcome obstacles and demolish negative energies afflicting the life of the individual practitioner. These methods include the higher spiritual practices (stod-las) for attaining liberation and enlightenment and the more practical ritual actions (smad-las) for transforming negative energies in everyday life.
For the overcoming and subduing negative energies generally in his own time, it is said that Vajrakilaya was the personal meditation practice of Guru Padmasambhava himself, as well as that of the Tibetan princess Yeshe Tsogyal, who wrote the first Tibetan commentary on this practice.
Vajrakilaya has become among the most widespread and popular cycles in Tibet. This seminar will introduce some of these practices for Vajrakilaya according to the Düdjom Tersar, in particular, the sPu-gri reg-phung, “the Razor that Destroys at a Touch.
Bae Acupuncture (Samaya Education)
190 N. 10th Street Suite 204
Brooklyn, NY 11211
Saturday and Sunday Dec 13-14, 2014
Fee: $55/day; $100 for both days
$85 preregistration by Dec. 1
John Myrdhin Reynolds, aka Vajranatha, studied History of Religions, Anthropology, Arabic, Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, at the University of California at Berkeley, and at the University of Washington at Seattle. At the former he pursued Islamic Studies under Prof. Arthur Jeffrey and Iranian Studies under Prof. J. Duchesne-Guillemin. He did his PhD research in Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Buddhist Philosophy under Prof. Edward Conze, the world-renowned scholar of the Buddhist Prajnaparamita literature.
He then spent more than ten years in India and Nepal doing field research at various Hindu Ashrams in South India and at Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Darjeeling, Kalimpong, and Nepal. At these latter locales, he researched the literature, rituals, and meditation practices of the Nyingmapa and Kagyudpa schools of Tibetan Buddhism. His Lama teachers included Dezhung Rinpoche, Kangyur Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Dudjom Rinpoche, Kalu Rinpoche, Gyalwa Karmapa, and many others. His special study was Dzogchen and the Buddhist Tantras, both in their own terms, and in comparison with Gnosticism and other mystical traditions of the West. As a result, he translated into English many original Tibetan texts belonging to the Nyingmapa and Kagyudpa traditions, and more recently texts from the Bon tradition. In Nepal he researched the techniques and lore of Tibetan shamanism, including rites of exorcism and soul retrieval, employed and practiced among Ngakpa Lamas belonging to the Nyingmapa school. The thrust of this research was experiential and participatory, and not just restricted to texts. He has been initiated into both the Nyingmapa and the Kagyudpa orders of Tibetan Buddhism and in 1974 in Kalimpong he received ordination from HH Dudjom Rinpoche as a Ngakpa or Buddhist Tantric Yogin of the Nyingmapa order, receiving the name Vajranatha (Rigdzin Dorje Gonpo). With the inspiration and permission of His Holiness, he began in-depth research into the Ngakpa tradition of Tibetan Buddhism stemming from Guru Padmasambhava and Nubchen Sangye Yeshe in the 8th century of our era.
Since then he has continued his researches and lectured widely in India, Europe, and America. He has taught History of Religions and Buddhist Studies at Shanti Ashram (South India), at the University of Massachusetts (Amherst), at the University of California (Santa Cruz), and more recently at the College of New Rochelle in New York City. Furthermore, he has taught in various countries of Europe, lecturing and presenting seminars on Buddhism, meditation, Tibetan shamanism, and psychological development in Amsterdam, Den Haag, Groningen, Copenhagen, Malmo, Oslo, Devon, and London, as well as in Italy, Greece, Mallorca, Poland, Hungary, and Jugoslavia.
In the past two decades he has worked closely with Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, the foremost exponent of Dzogchen practice in the West, on a number of translations of important Nyingmapa Dzogchen texts. Since 1989, he has worked closely with Lopon Tenzin Namdak, the foremost scholar of the Bonpo tradition outside of Tibet, on the translation into English of a large number of ancient and rare Bonpo Dzogchen texts, including the Zhang-zhung Nyan-gyud, and also the Ma Gyud, the Bonpo Mother Tantra. As his principal focus, he continues his research into the historical origins of Dzogchen in both the Nyingmapa and the Bon traditions, and especially into the connections of Dzogchen and the Bon tradition with the Iranian religious culture of ancient Central Asia and the West, including Iranian Buddhism, Mithraism, and Gnosticism. This research into original texts in Tibetan and Sanskrit, as well as comparative studies in terms of religion, mysticism, and magic, and the producing of monographs thereon, is known as the Vidyadhara Project.
There are few in the field today that have both technical expertise and a genuine love of the spirits. A man who is as on-fire with the Holy Spirit as a tent-revival preacher, but who can make complex evocation instruction as clear as your ABC’s. Rufus Opus is that kind of Priest-Magician.
For years he has been making laying down his brand of hermetic magic with style and sass on his blog and in his courses. Now with this book, he will be blowing open the gates for an even wider audience.
A lot of people have been waiting for this book, and I am sure it is going to sell out fast.
From the Blurb:
Seven Spheres is more than a simple book of traditional Hermetic Magic. It is designed to be a series of rituals that function on many levels to take an average ordinary magician and turn them into a self-actualized powerhouse of proactive reality engineering. It’s entirely about attaining initiation and empowerment in the highest levels of un-manifest reality. These experiences and rites result in the release of a floodgate of power that pour down through the layers of progressive manifestation, building up awareness, understanding, and ultimately raw potential as you move from sphere to sphere through the rites, ultimately culminating in the anointing of the magician as Priest-King directing the forces that climax in your personal daily experience of the Joy of your life. This book isn’t about physical or spiritual mastery, it is entirely about understanding that you, personally, are beloved, honored, blessed, and highly favored of every intelligence, spirit, angel, and god of every sphere. This is about understanding who you are and what you can accomplish as a human being manifest upon the surface of the Earth. Spiritual enlightenment and material mastery will be yours, if you do the work described.
Nota bene: This book is a stand-alone series of rites that empower you, and it WILL change your life if you buy it and do the magical rites as described in the book. However, it is also intended to be a textbook for a series of courses provided by Rufus Opus. If you are interested in additional training, useful information, and the camaraderie of becoming an awesome expression of God doing what thou wilt as you see fit in the company of others, please contact email@example.com
Andireh’s Shapeshifting course has proven so popular that he is running another cycle starting in December.
Better yet, he has a special deal for readers of Strategic Sorcery: use the code STRATEGIC and get a $30 discount on the course!
Go HERE to sign up. Honestly for the price he is charging it is a steal, even without the discount. With the discount, its a no-brainer.
Copies of “Sex, Sorcery, and Spirit: Secrets of Erotic Magic” are now shipping from both Amazon and B&N. I have gotten a lot of inquiries about the Kindle edition and that too is now available. No work yet on Nook, but it is coming.
Here are some quotes from the reviews on Amazon:
“It is thorough, comprehensive. No subject was ignored, and there is depth without the shameful ‘blinds’ we are accustomed to seeing in texts about sexual magic work. In the vast majority of Orders, both Western and Eastern, sexual magic and alchemy are the crowning jewel of the system. Jealously guarded, and often hinted at…and sadly used as a goad to drive initiates in lower grades to stay within the system. The Golden promise of esoteric wisdom is a powerful carrot.
You don’t need any of that anymore. The secret wisdom is here, in this book. Do the Work, using the techniques in this book, and your results will speak for themselves. I can’t recommend it enough. It’s required reading for anyone serious about studying sexual magic.”
~ Christopher Bradford
“You’d be hard pressed to find another book that describes the powerful techniques of sexual alchemy and sex magic as openly and clearly as “Sex, Sorcery, and Spirit”.
In direct, plain language, Jason Miller pulls back the curtains on the complete art of sexual sorcery, revealing not only the practical applications of this secretive tradition as it applies to results magic, but also the powerful tantric based methods of achieving illumination and wisdom. The author also corrects many of the misconceptions about sexual alchemy that have plagued modern occultism, and restores the practice of “Inner Heat” to its position of prominence. Without this engine to power the process, sexual sorcery seldom rises beyond the level of fantasy.
“Sex, Sorcery, and Spirit” is certainly the best book on the subject I have read in many years, and is easily a strong contender for the best book on the subject I have ever read. If you are interested in the subject, don’t miss out. This book needs to be on your shelf.”
~ Bill “Nemo” Trommer
I am new to sex magic, although I have read about it for years. Jason Miller is very knowledgeable and thorough, and presents this information in a way that is not intimidating. His approach is practical, humane, and inclusive, so if you are LGBT or even celibate, please know that this book is still for you. I highly recommend this book for beginners like me. Also, take care to follow his gentle lessons and do the breath work, the energy work, the meditation, all of the preliminary steps. This form of magic is truly powerful and you don’t want to go too quickly or skip steps. I am so happy that this book is available to me at this time. It’s like an answer to my prayer.
If you care about what I think the best way to buy my book is, click here.
It should be on the shelves at Barnes & Noble shortly. In the meantime you can…
One thing that people always ask me is how to purchase a book so that I get the most out of it. Given the proliferation of small publishers and self-published authors in the occult world it is often best if you buy the book directly from them, and I think it is great that so many people are thinking about this.
My situation is a little different as I do not sell my published books directly.
So with that in mind here are the best ways to get your hands on Sex, Sorcery, and Spirit as well as all my other books with New Page or the anthologies I have done with other authors and publishers.
1. YOUR LOCAL OCCULT/NEW AGE STORE: This is the ideal. If they don’t have it, ask them if they can order it. These places are a boon to the community and deserve as much business as you can throw their way.
2. INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE: Next best is a bookstore that is not necessarily occult or new age, but has a decent section. Again, there are so few of these left, if you have one, you should support it.
3. BIG CORPORATE CHAIN BOOKSTORE: Honestly even these places are disappearing, so if you have one, you should support it.
All that said at least 80% of you are going to buy it online so:
4. AMAZON.COM OR B&N.COM: You won’t get any hate from me. I live in a rural area and have to almost an hour just to get to a Barnes & Noble. Independent bookstores are even further, so I do a lot of online shopping.
The book will be available on Kindle, Nook, and other electronic formats soon.
A while back I was having a political discussion with a friend who told me that he stopped voting. His reason was something that I have heard many times before:
“They think we are sheep. I refuse to be a sheep voting for a shepherd. That is not freedom”.
This is a good way to get yourself all worked up about how crappy politicians are, and maybe attend a protest against “the system”, but the logic falls away when you really think about it in a few steps.
First I asked my friend if he thought complete anarchy was good or sustainable. He agreed that we do need laws and government and so on.
I asked my friend if he ever planned to run for office. Of course the answer is no. No one he knows wants to either, and neither do I.
So since we have a need for laws and rules and general welfare, as well as people to oversee those laws and rules and general welfare there will be Shepherds. Since we do not ourselves wish to be the Sheherd we are the sheep.
So what could be more important to Sheep than who gets to he Shepherd? What an amazing thing that we get the opportunity to have a say. Even when both candidates are rich arseholes from privileged families only interested in maintaining their privilege – there can still be remarkable difference.
When the Shepherd decides that the best way to keep themselves set up as Sherherd with minimal hassle is to keep the sheep happy and fed and comfy it is very different than when the Shepherd decides that he doesn’t care what happens to the sheep because “fuck them, if they were worth anything they would be Shepherds”.
When aristocracy decides that the best way to keep themselves in power is to have a comfortable and free populace with moderate chance to move up in the world, and freedom to pursue their own interests and passions that is VERY different than when aristocracy decides that nobody matters but them and if they populace wants not to be poor they should just work 5 jobs for increasingly less pay.
In short, even if you work against the system, even if you hate the 1%, even if you want to go full Robespierre on the Koch Brothers and all their ilk – right now that’s not gonna happen. Right now you are a sheep voting for Shepherd, which is something that a lot of world does not get to do.
Here in the States, tomorrow is Election Day, so obviously I am writing this as sort of a voting matters kind of thing. But beyond that – when it comes to planning your magic and life it can be useful to realize those situations that you do not want to be the shepherd and perhaps work your sorcery to influence who does. After all, if you were the CEO of your company you might not have much time for conjuration or contemplation, but the person who is still effects you deeply.
Just a note of thanks to everyone that signed up for the Strategic Sorcery Course and participated in the Global Hekate Rite. My inbox is filled with pics and recordings of people doing the Hallows of Hekate rite from all across the globe. The Strategic Sorcery Group is filling up with eager people ready to learn, some new to the path, others with decades of experience who are always looking to increase their knowledge and hone their skills. Warms the cockles of my Sorcerous Heart.
Just a note, it is never to late to join the course, you can continue to enroll throughout the cycle and receive back lessons.
I feel incredibly blessed to be able to do this for a living, and it is YOU who make this happen. Thank you.